Using The Big Butcher Knife For The Very First Time

In preparation of the freezing cold (12-05-2013), we decided to make dumplings.  A(6) & G(5) quickly joined me and asked to help.  When A asked to use the big butcher knife to cut the leeks, I was a little surprised.  But his confidence quickly overruled my reluctance.  So I went over with them the proper and safe way of using a butcher knife.  I had him stand on a step stool.  He used his left hand to stabilize the veggie and right hand to hold the handle of the knife.  Here he is cutting his first batch with the big butcher knife. 
While A was concentrated on cutting, G was busy mixing the leeks, grounded turkey meat & fish, eggs, herbs and seasoning in the big bowl. 
G decided to move closer to the cutting board because he thought it'd be easier to take the cuttings into the mixing bowl.  And that was a good move because he understood efficiency and working as a team.
As the leek pile got smaller, the cutting strategy needed to be altered: fingers curved, not holding the pile with whole hand.

After a few cuts per my instruction, A devised different ways of expedite the cutting that still led to consistent results.  I let him explore and ask how each way worked better or worse than the previous ways.  G discovered that mixing takes persistence and attention to detail.  A steady left hand holding the bowl was just as important as having a steady right hand swirling motion.  This is some major hand-eye coordination task for them both.
G decided he wanted to try his hands at cutting as well.  A, now being a competent butcher knife cutter, was now advising and monitoring G on his techniques.  What is better than letting a child feel confident enough to teach another child?
They were so into their tasks.  So concentrated that in fact, they don't want to do anything else, like having the dinner!  This dumpling making is for the next meal, not the one we were having at the moment.  I was preparing dinner on the side while they prepared the next meal.  A here wanted to resume the cutting, while G found washing the dishes appealing.
We live in a society where parents are overprotective of our children.  My kids have been using steak knives ever since they were just three years old.  I never just give them a knife and walk away.  Proper instructions and cautions must be exercised.  But I am sure not a parent that would scream bloody murder when my child touches a knife because I make sure they fully understand the proper usage and the danger associated with them.

With that in mind, they finished the task beautifully and felt accomplished. 

If this kind of learning curve continues, me thinks I can retire from the kitchen p.r.e.t.t.y soon!~  

12.05.2013

Comments